Catalytic Clothing Project

(Catalyst Dress Fabric Close Up)

As a individual, as far as design goes, and personal lifestyle I believe that sustainable materials, and practices are the way to go. Now this isn't to say I'm an 'eco-freak'. By this I mean, and if you are I'm not hounding on you I just see it a little differently, that I will if the option is there to change things in my life to be more environmentally friendly, and make adjustments to try and put my greenest foot forward. But I might not alter my whole way of living to get there.

For example, I wash most of my clothes with cold water and only use hot when absolutely needed as for linens and towels. I drip dry most of my clothes so my use of electricity is thus brought down somewhat. 

The dishwasher only gets run when fully loaded, and as often as possible I use cold water for that too, unless the dishes are heavy duty or really need that hot water (although I try and wash all large items and pots and pans by hand). I also run it usually on the shortest run time. Saves time, energy and water.

I use natural cleaning products in my house, except again for those one off times when I feel I need something much stronger, then I will use something like Lysol to disinfect. I also do a combination of cleaning cloths and paper towels (only for glass if possible), and kitchen needs. We buy one package from Costco every year of paper towels and that's all we use. It's about one roll a month, if that.

I try and recycle all our cans, bottles, etc... although I will admit this one I need some work on. I sometimes get a little lazy or if my 'piles' get mixed up I may just ignore it and start again once the garbage has been changed. 

All in all, I try and make small changes where I can and adjust, but I am not one of those people who can alter and change their entire life, and go to all measures to conserve and be 95% environmentally-friendly (because come on who can be 100%). 

I will choose products that are made out of organic materials, or honestly just natural at least. I would rather buy something made out of cotton, than poly for example even if it isn't organic. At least it's natural and will decompose if need be.

(An Organic Cotton Plant)

However when  I worked on my clothing line last summer (which did not finish well due to many issues - to be attempted again in the future. It will be successful next time) I dedicated myself to using all organic and sustainable materials in the collection. I am a hard core LOVER of bamboo so many of my items were made with bamboo, with my secondary choice being organic cotton composed fabrics. I am also into recycling materials. Whatever those materials may be. My theory is who cares what the fabric you're re using is, it's better off being re used than left in a dump.

 (Cotton field)

My interest in eco friendly fabrics started when I was in school, post secondary. Before I knew anything about eco fabrics I didn't really think twice about it as a detrimental option for my own clothing, but as I learned all the amazing properties of these fabrics, their ability to conserve resources in amazing quantities (for example one regular cotton t-shirt will use about 400 gallons of water. A pair of blue jeans will use 1800 gallons. Organic materials use significantly less water, and remove all the harmful chemicals which contaminate so much of the rivers and drinking water close to these plantations. Some of these cotton plantations in 3rd world countries where good drinking water is already an issue - check more facts out at TreeHugger), and how great they feel on I became quite interested and will, if the option is given, choose organic over regular clothing.

(Cotton collected and being packed and ready to ship.)

So naturally when new research if found regarding organic and eco practices, advancements and products I am usually quite drawn to it. 

I came across the Catalytic Clothing Project today. Also a designer, Erin posted it on facebook and I was instantly drawn to it. Two University Professors, Helen Storey and Tony Ryan from the University of Sheffield in London collaborated to create a Catalytic dress that purifies the air while you walk. They have are moving towards a project of everyday wear. They created the 2nd Generation of Catalytic field of jeans as a representation of what could be. 

 (Helen Storey and Tony Ryan with the Catalytic dress)

 (Outdoor display in London)

 (The dress in studio)

(Model Erin O'Connor in a snapshot from the promotional film. You can find the film on the website.)

They were featured on Vogue.Com and you can also check out their website where you can find out more information, and see their Field of Jeans and more pictures, and videos of the dress.

(Field of Jeans demonstration)

Just some sites to do more reading if you wish on eco-practices, facts, and new products. There's so much out there. If you really want to catch up on the eco life grab a coffee and start googling.


Do you know of any new found eco research or any interesting labels, and companies with eco friendly products?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

  1. Ok, so this has nothing to do with fashion, but it is eco-friendly! A couple days ago I discovered that on the Seventh Generation website you can get some good coupons to print. You have to sign in to access them, but if you use any of their products, it's worth it.

    Go to: http://ca.seventhgeneration.com/coupons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charisa, that's awesome! Totally related to the post. Thanks for sharing, I'll be checking that out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts