Decorative Birdhouse Tutorial

Okay so remember my post of inspiration? Well my inspiration took flight and I came up with these personal versions of the birdhouses.



I was recently in a used bookstore and I wanted to find an old book to tear up and use for my birdhouses. Well I found a great book (actually my friend found it for me while we were in there and I fell in love with it - both for it's look and after reading the first two chapters; for it's story). I initially bought it in part because of the writing inside, and partially because of the front cover and the amazing blue floral printed page lining the inside cover of the book. Only $5 too, which has made it even more special.

(The outside of the book. Isn't it pretty?)

I decided I would use the amazing blue floral print, but as for the rest of the inside I may just read the book before I decide to tear and destroy it's innards.

(Such pretty blue print)

So let's get started.

Tools Needed:

  • Wooden birdhouse (got a Dollarama around? they sell these and of course just a dollar) 
  • Glue stick or stronger glue if you're using thicker paper
  • Wall paper, scrap book pages, or really any foldable paper (thinner is better than the thick stuff)
  • Paper cutter, or you can use a pair of scissors
Get Going:

So first thing you want to do is decide what paper you want where and how much of the birdhouse you want to actually cover. Then measure and cut, or I lay the paper flat on the surface and folded along the edges to mark where it needed to be cut.

(Here I bent the edge to make a mark, then cut the excess off)

Then apply glue stick to the bird house surface you'll be covering or you can apply glue to the paper, but I found it can be a little harder to place seeing as thin paper curls when glue is applied. Just a little tip for it to go smoother. Complete covering your desired surfaces with paper.

To cover the bird 'perch' I used a small strip of paper just a little longer than the perch and a little wider and for this one I placed the glue on the paper, and wrapped the paper around the perch. Then I folded in the ends in order to cover the tip of the perch.



I also created a little border around the birdhouse by cutting strips of paper, and with the same method of place and bending the edges I cut the 4 pieces of paper necessary to create a little border.



You can also add details like flowers, or silhouettes to the birdhouse.


Here's one I made with origami paper.


Hope you enjoyed. This is just the beginning, there are so many options and variations to covering the birdhouses, and if you can find some cheap birdhouses like I did it will only cost you a couple bucks for them. Great way to decorate a baby's room, or little girls room (or really any woman's room too, let's be honest who wouldn't want these cute little birdhouses in their room.)

Thanks for joining me!

Comments

Popular Posts