Easy Homemade Applesauce

So a few weeks ago I found myself with more apples than we could eat, and of course their time was shortly coming to an end. I decided to try my hand at some homemade applesauce. A few days ago I made more and thought it was a share worthy recipe. So here it is. I have to say I was quite impressed with it. It was so good and I think the fact that the apples were a little older really helped with the flavor  I think I'll also say that after making my own I don't see myself buying store bought applesauce ever again. Compared to it the store bought sauce has no flavor.

Ingredients:
4 apples
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Peal, core, and cut apples into chunks
2. Place apples and all other ingredients into a saucepan or pot. Mix.
3. Cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Cook uncovered stirring every so often. I found 15 minutes was all I really needed.
4. Mash or puree mixture when apples are soft. If you like chunkier applesauce cook for less time and mash with a potato masher, and more cooking time for smoother consistency.




Substitutes & Alternatives:
  • The first time I made this I went by the recipe and found it to be super yummy but a little over sweet for some. You can substitute with some honey instead of sugar, use less sugar or eliminate it all together if you'd like unsweetened. the second time around I found I actually added extra apples to the recipe. I kept the quantity of the other ingredients the same, just added extra apples and that really helped with the sweetness. 
  • You can add lemon peel to the apples while their cooking. It heightens the flavor.
  • Add raisins, or craisins into your sauce and the cinnamon.
And because I'm on a mason jar kick I put all our apple sauce into portion sized jars. Ready to serve. Just add a spoonful of whipped cream or yogurt or eat as is. :) 

And about those jars, I mean everything lately has made it into a mason jar; apple sauce, ready to mix iced tea, and planning on yogurt and breakfast granola to go to name a few - I'll fill you in on those all at another time.

If you have other ideas of things to add post below and share. :)



Comments

Popular Posts