7 Years of Valentine's

Valentines day came and went yesterday.

Before I met my husband I did not like the day much. Not because I didn't have someone to spend it with or because of any specific reason. I just always thought the day was a little cheesy, and wondered why should someone go all out for another person one day of the year when they should go all out randomly and because of wanting, versus feeling the need that they have to, or feeling pressured to.

Ironically, of course my husband and I mark us starting to date as February 14th (although I think we officially started dating March 11th as he says - only because we realized that I hadn't been officially asked if I wanted to start dating.)

Our first Valentines day together we spent it doing an outreach event called "$5 of Love", where you go out downtown in pairs and take a homeless or needing person out for coffee, or food and just hear their story, get to know them a little. We got paired off and had the most amazing day. Between trying to find someone willing to take our money and sit down for a coffee and getting to know each other we embarked on my favorite Valentines day memory ever.

By the end of the day we had already accumulated a few inside jokes, and took to our own coffee get to know you 'date'. We literally heard each others full life story (although my husband had to re tell his when he realized I didn't leave anything out). Our first date we got to know each other better than I had ever known someone else. We were so open with each other and it made way for a beautiful start to our relationship.

Through the years we've never done anything crazy to celebrate necessarily. We have done dinner, movies, hung out, always low key though. But this year was different.

I woke up brutally tired and he has been sick and not really resting these days. I was cranky, and trying not to snap as our son has been fussy non-stop this week. My husband came home, we passed our son back and forth as he fussed. There was no gourmet dinner, flowers, or chocolates (actually he did bring me 2 cadbury egg chocolate bars - they were pretty tasty). Just us, at our rawest level.

I looked over our budget and tallied things up (hey I'm dedicated to keep in line with our plans), and my husband fell asleep in his chair, as I did that. I woke him up a little later and we did get a chance to talk a little, get some hugs, and cuddle before going to sleep.

I'm not saying I expected anything necessarily but it was interesting to see us. Exhausted, 7 years later, our new little guy fast asleep, and cuddling. I wouldn't change it as it's us at truest selves right now. Not getting much sleep these last couple of weeks, sick, and a little in need of some alone time to just be the couple who hung out 7 years ago.

This is not a complaint post. Despite it not being the fairytale fantasy date night (which I'm not a fan of anyway) I fell asleep thankful for that day 7 years ago, and thankful for where I am today. In deeper love with my husband than ever and falling deeper in love everyday with our new son. All in all, despite it's lack of lustre it was a great Valentines day.

My men are amazing and I wouldn't be where I am today without them.

Comments

Popular Posts